A DIFFERENT NOTE

At a time in our modern world when religion and politics are not seen as the saviour but as the cause of many of society’s problems, we have become skilled at turning a blind eye (especially the fashion world). Thank god (maybe literally – haha) for designers like Tina Kalivas, whose wonderfully beautiful clothes dare to shake us out of our complacency. I first came across her clothes a few months ago when I was contacted by a PR agency representing new young Australian fashion designers. I’ll admit that I initially rejected the opportunity to write about Australia and its fashion scene on the ground that apart from RUSSH magazine, TV, Dress Up, Willow, Arnsdorf and Sass & Bide I felt that there wasn’t much style and energy to blog about. Well, I soon realized my mistake when I discovered several other inspirational peripheral characters, notably Tina Kalivas.
Yes, I know. Instead of being stubborn I should just learn to embrace my faith in creativity and as a lover of good fashion I can only rejoice in the fact that style nourishment can be found … even in Australia!
Tina Kalivas created her latest collection in collaboration with highly skilled Hazara women living in the suburbs of Sydney. The idea was not to create controversial pieces or be provocative. There is of course a gentle tension and complexities emanating from the clothes but the challenge was to set beliefs and conflicts aside to reconcile with the world. Politics should never overshadow the talent and relevance of the designs. Tina combines real traditional crafts (intricate embroideries, beadwork, cross-stitched patterns, motifs and symbolism) with more contemporary cuts and colours often reminiscent of the joyful reds, greens, yellows etc used to enliven the austere and often harsh environments of Afghanistan. The military tailoring is a big part of the collection and I suppose another way of approaching our ignorance when it comes to the Afghan spirit. The flavour of this collection is refreshing but remains cool at the same time.
Tina Kalivas trained in London for 8 years. She worked for Alexander McQueen, Clements Ribeiro and Russel Sage.

All pictures courtesy of Tina Kalivas

TI
T
tin
Tina

21 comments:

Jillian Hobbs said...

loved LOVED LOVED this line seriously is stunning and the neon accents! HOT

Unknown said...

she is so stunning, love the mix of fashion!

<3

personal style and lovely fashion stuff here:

buttonsandbowsla.com

Anonymous said...

i do like the olive green jumpsuit and dress

E.K. said...

I'm crazy about Australian fashion, it's that simple.

Unknown said...

Her stuff is amazing!

Eva. said...

I would totally wear the bracelet!

fred said...

Oh I really love it..
kisses!

Eva. said...

I'll be sure to check it out! Does it sell the same type of clothing? or vintage?or..?

Riot Report said...

just stunning.. you time and time again post the most ethereal and unreal editorials.. encore! bravo!

Anonymous said...

Râh.Y'a juste le mannequin que je ne PEUX PAS blairer.Quand j'étais en Australie, elle était dans TOUS les magazines sur TOUS les photoshoots...Apparemment ils ont toujours pas évolués...Ptêt qu'ils ont qu'un mannequin en OZ?

funkyluv said...

this small top is very interesting, quite pretty piece of clothing

Anonymous said...

the embroidery and textiles are fantastic! i love ethnic-inspired clothing, and i especially love how these pieces take on a whole different feel and look than the typical bohemian style that is usually associated with ethnic clothing. very, very cool. thanks for posting, luv! xo

Adwina Noh said...

lovin' the shoulder pad <3 lovely blog :)

http://glossywind.blogpsot.com/
http://siegmagazine.com/

Little Style Box said...

She is absolutely... wait for it... awesome !!!

Move said...

i love the line, shes so genius and unique!!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying really hard not to be furious at your arrogant attitude towards Australian fashion because I like your blog.

July Stars said...

Anonymous: I'm genuinely sorry that you've mistaken my ignorance for arrogance. I am increasingly aware of Australian fashion and happy to admit that it has beaten back my past criticism and caricature. I was being slightly ironic when I wrote that style nourishment could be found even in Australia!

Anonymous said...

so cool. love your display of them especially.

Laura McLaws Helms said...

I have a Tina Kalivas skirt I bought at Browns Focus years ago and have loved her line ever since- gorgeous use of pattern and colour. I want that little neon croptop- so yummy.

Kaela said...

I loved this youthful collection!
Charlotte looks so beautiful too!

Anonymous said...

I love australian fashion, its got a different vibe from everywhere else. Her work is fantastic and i believe they sell it in Collette.